Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Other Music I'm Listening To

Hope you all had a nice 3 day weekend. How 'bout some music???

It's come to my attention that it may seem as if all I listen to or check for or enjoy is hip hop music. Nothing could be further from the truth. I, in fact, love all different kinds of music. With that in mind let me put some shine on some CDs that've been in my player for a minute. It's been a lotta female artists lately. Maybe because there are so few women in hip hop these days...

Vedera (formerly Veda)- "The Weight Of An Empty Room"

The Falling Kind



My not so guilty pleasure is female fronted indie rock bands from the 90's. I love The Blake Babies, The Cranberries, 10,000 maniacs, Sinead O'Connor, The Sundays, Belly, Aimee Mann and all that stuff. So a band like Kansas City's Vedera is gonna quickly rocket into my most played list because Kristin May and her band obviously came up on these very same bands. They do add a little something extra with Kristin's crystalline, and searingly powerful, vocal delivery and Brian Little's almost U2-like effected guitar dynamics. Anthemic deliberations on heartache, relationships (both beginning and ending) are at the core of the album. As my friend Mudd so correctly points out on a regular basis, Kansas City does not let a mediocre band out on the road. Both live and on record Vedera is a captivating experience. I can't wait for their next album!! They have apparently signed with Epic so here's hoping that a big label knows how to work them properly and they get a chance to really shine.

Download "Trade This Fear"

The Forecast - "In The Shadow Of Two Gunmen"



Now here is a band for long road trips and whiskey soaked nights. They're from Peoria, Illinois (a little farm town that I spent my childhood summers in, visiting relatives, and attempting to stave off boredom) but don't hold that against 'em. One of the tightest rhythm sections in indy rock music today. Seriously, like metronome precision. Driving guitars, equal parts earnest and soaring vocals about love, loss and the joys and pains of traveling the open road in a van with your friends. I am constantly reminded of another Illinois band, Pegboy. But the Forecast is no knock off. Original and exciting with just that perfect sense of world weary melancholy that you might not expect in a band so young. They'd tour with Murder By Death and Brazil in my perfect world.

Download "A Fist Fight For Our Fathers"

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - "100 Days, 100 Nights"


Now hear is a funk and soul sister number 1!! None of this fake-the-funk, flash-in-the-pan, trend hoppin', Amy Winehouse, bullshit for Ms. Jones. Serious funk from this Augusta, Georgia born, Brooklyn bred lady. After years of non-stop worldwide touring and recording, Sharon Jones and her mighty Dap-Kings give you their finest full-length effort to date. As Sharon says, "If you cant feel the music on this album, then you must be a dead ass!"
Daptone Records releases this album October 8th.

Download "Keep On Looking"


Now go and pick up some of these albums. I really recommend them very highly.

No comments: